Thursday, October 1, 2015

Cornelissen Chapters 10 & 11

I read and digested chapters 10 and 11, but I am following my anger with this post. I know I am not directly discussing the models and case studies outlined by Cornelissen, but I need to vent. When I read the chapters, my continual thoughts were that this is a guidebook for the powerful to obfuscate, evade, and even lie to the less powerful.  

I am a fan of team sports: baseball, basketball, football, soccer, hockey. At the professional level these sports generate tremendous amounts of attention and with that attention comes tremendous revenue. Because of all that attention and revenue, along with other cultural factors, issue and crisis management are especially compelling to me through the lens of major professional sports.  Essentially, most organizations in the world of sports favor a tone-deaf approach to both issues and crises to the detriment of society. (Yes, I see the hypocrisy of my anger and concern because I keep watching and supporting these sports.)

For example, the professional football team in Washington D.C. has a nickname that is a racial slur. Many media outlets have already taken to only referring to the team as “Washington,” and a federal court has struck down the team’s trademark registration rights because of the offensive nickname. The owner, Daniel Snyder, does nothing but double down on his aggressive stance that the name is not offensive and it will not change as long as he is the team’s owner.

This example is interesting because Snyder views this as an issue as defined by Cornelissen. It is simply something that is negatively affecting the reputation of the organization (p. 181). To outside activists and many football fans, this issue is a crisis. The name needs to change immediately.
The sheer power of certain organizations affords them opportunities to keep the perception of issues from becoming crises by force. Because of this, I question how Cornelissen decides to differentiate the two terms.

Another example of the fuzzy dividing line between issue and crisis and how it is exploited by powerful organizations also comes from the sordid world of professional sports. Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane was recently under investigation for rape in Buffalo, NY. In this example, we have a crisis being treated as an issue again, but the crisis is far larger than and more important than the reputation of a hockey team.

Our country continually refuses to confront how prevalent sexual assault is, how few victims actually report the crimes, and how victims are shamed and degraded. The Patrick Kane case reinforces these ideas. The Chicago Blackhawks recently gave him a platform to claim his innocence and call the victim a liar when he spoke at a press conference to open the team’s training camp last week. This action of crisis management enables the type of people who make death threats at journalists covering the story, which is exactly what Julie DiCaro experienced.


Am I overreacting and again allowing my politics and proclivities to guide my reading and resulting criticism of the chapters? The case studies in these two chapters are not as ugly as my examples, but they do nothing to move me from my original assertion that these chapters are a handbook for denial and cover-up. 

3 comments:

  1. I am glad that you chose to express your frustrations about how powerful organizations spin messages at the expense of the less powerful. The fact is, what many organizations deem "issues" or "crises" are often attempts to conceal or explain away unethical actions. In your example of sports teams covering up sexual assault and domestic violence, the desire to protect what Cornelissen would consider a supporter stakeholder (and a valuable asset) is more important than the ethical demands of a low priority problematic stakeholder. While I am sure there are some examples of organizations employing issue and crises communication strategies for good causes, it is more common that they engage in these tactics to cover up bad behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you're overreacting at all. Corporate communications is essentially a way for those groups that care not about the communities in which they operate as much as they care about depleting a many resources from those communities as they are able. This goes all the way back to my initial feelings on corporations which I expressed in my first blog entry: they tend to be evil, manipulative, and power hungry. Applying the text's model to the examples you point out makes that crystal clear to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right when you say that "this is a guidebook for the powerful to obfuscate, evade, and even lie to the less powerful." And speaking of sports, my undergraduate alma mater is the University of North Dakota (aka the Fighting Sioux). They have gone without a nickname for a few years now I think because they stubbornly didn't want to change their nickname. The Sioux nation in North Dakota, apparently, has stated that they don't mind the nickname. They built a new arena some years ago from donations from an alum (I can't remember is name right now). In that arena the Fighting Sioux logo is imprinted practically on every other tile. They are currently running a campaign to pick a new name. I wonder how they are going to handle the logo situation. As long as different sports make money, they will not be penalized. And the Sioux are 1 or 2 in the WCHA championship. [I hope I have that right. It's been many years. :) ]

    ReplyDelete